Monday, October 1, 2012

Hawk Warning!

Well, I guess I knew the day would come that hawks would discover the chickens.

I had just come back from an errand, had carried my things in the house and had taken Annie out for a walk. Back in the house, I had unleashed Annie and turned to look out the window to survey my realm. What I saw was chickens scattering to the bushes and a big, pretty hawk, gliding through the clearing and into a tree. The chickens knew exactly what to do though - they all ran for cover!

I immediately went right back outside to create a presence, hopefully deterring the hawk, and to reassure and count the chickens, hoping everybody was okay. The Barred Rock roosters are every bit as big as that hawk (maybe bigger!) and the hens and the two old roosters are big enough to give any hawk a run for his money, but I do have four smaller birds those big hawks could pretty easily get away with if they could get a good hold. And even if they couldn't carry off one of the bigger chickens, they could sure injure one pretty badly in the attempt. So I put on the mind of Mammy Yokum and marched out there - Stand back!

What a racket those chickens were making! "Bawk! Bawk! Bawk! Bawk! BaGAWK!" sounded like "Look! Look! Look! Look! LookOUT!" I was relieved to count seven in the willow thicket and eleven under the sweetbush - all eighteen of them (big sigh of relief)! While I was standing out there, though, the hawk glided over again. Interesting to note that when the chickens saw the shadow of the hawk they all went completely silent.

They seem to be getting over it now, but they are staying pretty close to the underbrush where they can run for protection if they need to. Smart chickens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment