Monday, January 23, 2012

Lupin Flour

My daughter asked me, “Hey, Mom, do you remember posting a link about changing your flour from standard wheat to some other kind of … well … flour and you can change your health? Do you remember anything about that, like what was the other kind of flour or anything?”
 
I did remember posting something like that and I thought it was something unusual that one might have to order online, might not be easily available locally. I looked through my own facebook timeline for said post, but there are so many posts there I couldn’t find it either. I thought it might be Spelt, but that is a grain  (with gluten) and I was pretty sure that wasn’t the one she was looking for. Then I thought, coconut? and I found some links, but I didn’t think that was it either. Then I searched my own computer for the term “flour” and came up with something about Lupin flour. I think that is the one my daughter is asking about. Here is the link of which I believe she was inquiring: http://wrightnewsletter.com/2011/07/07/lower-heart-disease/
 
Lupin flour looks pretty promising. There are some “be-carefuls” regarding lupin flour, though: the article recommends the diet be changed to 40% lupin flour rather than a total conversion.  Part of the reason may be that lupins contain certain isoflavones and alkaloids that can be beneficial up to a certain point, but potentially toxic in large doses. See more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupinus.  It is also noted that people who have allergies to peanuts should probably avoid lupin beans (and lupin flour) as well. I’ve never noticed lupin flour in the health food store (but I wasn’t looking for it).  If you’re interested in trying it, I suggest asking your local health food store first. if that doesn’t turn anything up, check with Irwin Valley, an Australian company specializing in lupin products.
 
Best wishes, and if you pursue lupin flour, please let me know how it goes for you!
 
Thanks for reading,
Vicki
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment