Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Unicorn Named Roger

Most mornings I take a few minutes to go through a directed meditative process aimed at strengthening my intuition and developing my creativity. During part of this process, I visit a nature scene in my imagination. This nature scene is uaually similar from one day to the next, but I am likely to see some unusual things there sometimes. A "Marshmallow Tree," for instance. (Marshmallows as we know them do not ordinarily grow on trees.)  So, it seems, another thing I get to do in this process, is to ease up on "The Need To Be Right," and to allow more of the sense of wonder.

I am learning that when I get something unusual, to just go with it, and observe and remember, because when I come back to the ordinary world, I can look things up, maybe see what that means. It's been very informative, very interesting.

For example, the other day in my meditation I got the children's book, Green Eggs and Ham. I could see it as clearly as if I were holding the physical book in my hands. I opened it up and flipped through it. All the pictures and words were there. I thought, Green Eggs and Ham? Really? Okay, but why am I getting this? Stupid, I thought. 
But something said there's a reason... So when I came back to the ordinary world, I googled Green Eggs and Ham, and here's what I found out: It's about 
     Being presented with an idea                     
     Resistance
     Persistence                                            
     Resistance
     Persistence
     Resistance
     Persistence    
     Resistance
     Persistence 
    All right already, I'll try it, even though I know I won't like it, just so you'll shut up - hey, wait a minute - this isn't as bad as I thought - as a matter of fact, I like it, I like it a lot! I want some more!

This was a mind-opening experience for me. I can see that a worthy goal for me would be to excise most of the resistance out of the middle.

So this morning I had just arrived to my Nature Scene (the Marshmallow Tree is still there) and immediately in my face was a unicorn! Not distant or mysterious, not wild or skittish, but right there, face to face, blinking his big eyes at me. He was so close I could see he had freckles.  I thought, Unicorns have freckles? and he said, "Why not? Unicorns can have freckles."  I thought, I wonder if it has a name? and he said "You can call me Roger!" Roger? What kind of name is that for a Unicorn? and Roger threw his head back and laughed like it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard, and then he said, "Green Eggs and Ham!" and ran away!

When I came back to the ordinary world I looked up Unicorns, which most people know are a legendary animal, generally depicted as a white horse with a single long horn coming from its forehead. Often considered to to be quite wild, the unicorn was considered to be a symbol of purity and grace, and the horn was said to have the power to to make poisoned water drinkable and to heal sickness. 

Then I looked up the name Roger, and guess what that means? Famous Spear! I got a Unicorn named Roger. My universe definitely has a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment