Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tino's Cold Cheese Pizza

When we lived in Cooperstown there was a little pizzaria, Tino's, on Chestnut Street. Tino had a fairly typical menu for such a restaurant and would do slices for lunch. One of his menu items was Cold Cheese Pizza and all his menus bore the phrase, "Home of the Cold Cheese." Best I could determine, he was talking about cold cheese on a pizza.

Cold cheese on a pizza? Why? I didn't get it. It sounded gross.

My friends, co-workers, husband and I, as well as most visitors we entertained, enjoyed Tino's slices for lunch and whole pizzas for dinner and other occasions. We came to be such regulars that when Tino would see our shadow cross the door, he would himself call out our order, and it would be ready by the time we got to the counter. We ate a lot of Tino's.

Then came Jason. Jason Schiellack, then Manager of Membership (now promoted to Director of Membership) at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, hails from Wisconsin. Everyone liked to rib him about being a "cheesehead" but he really is himself one cheese lovin' dude. It didn't take Jason long at all to sample that cold cheese pizza. Jason is the one who successfully introduced me to it. I must say I was hesitant to try this strange arrangement of cold cheese on a pizza, but from the "The First One is Free, Kid," Department, I was hooked from the first time I tried it.

The next time I went in, I asked Tino, "What's the story on that cold cheese pizza?"

Tino explained that when they had a pizza shop in Oneonta (a college town) they'd get these big rushes of diners, say, at lunch time or when classes or an entertainment event would let out. They'd be overrun with a shop full of hungry college age kids ordering slices! Slices! Slices! and they'd be back there slingin' pizzas as fast as they could. They'd pull those bubbling hot pizzas out of the oven and slice 'em up, but they were way too hot to eat - loosen the skin right off the roof of your mouth (
Ouch!) - until someone had the ingenious idea of throwing a handful of cold shredded mozzarella cheese on top of those extraordinarily hot slices to keep from injuring thier avid, loyal, ravenous and impatient customers. Soon people began asking for slices that way. A cult of pizza was born.

When my sister, who has never been to Cooperstown
or Oneonta, learned that I love cold cheese pizza, her response was same as mine had been in the beginning - "Cold cheese on a pizza? Why? I don't get it. Sounds gross!"

Unfortunately, any explanation I can offer in black words on white ground can not possibly come anywhere near doing it justice, but try to think of the most excellent thin crust cheese pizza you can imagine, piping hot - the way the crust bends down when you try to pick it up, so hot the topping almost slides off, melting - with a handful of shredded Mozzarella cheese thrown on top as it goes on the plate. Be assured, the juxtaposition of cold cheese on hot pizza is a delightful surprise. If you ever have the chance, try one. It'll change your life. Trust me.

We still get the weekly Cooperstown newspaper,
The Freeman's Journal. Comes in the mail every week, right as rain. It's fun to keep up with the goings on in the village where we spent the last seven years of our lives. We always liked to say the village is so small, everyone takes turns being on the front page of The Freeman's Journal. It's real home towny. I saw in the FJ recently that someone bought Tino's.

That is happy and sad news to me. Happy if it was what Tino wanted, happy for him and his if he came out well on the sale. Sad to think Tino's won't be there any more. The new guys might even still call it Tino's if they paid him enough for such a priviledge, but it sure won't really be Tino's if Tino isn't there.

I am familiar with the other restaurant owned and operated by the people who bought Tino's. I certainly wish them the best, but I have to say, they're no Tino by a long shot. Not even close. So I guess we'll see. On the other hand I don't suppose I really need to trouble my pretty little head about it because I don't live there anymore!

Tino, wherever you're going and whatever you do, I bid you a fond farewell and wish you Health, Happiness and Prosperity. I thank you for having opened up a shop in Cooperstown, for your friendship, and for the exquisite experience of Cold Cheese Pizza. Cheers, buddy.

9 comments:

  1. Just came across this post as I was reminiscing about a good cold cheese slice. I went to college at Oneonta, and Tinos was bought out and renamed Cosmos (ridiculously) back in, i think, 2006. My friends and I still made sure to refer to it as Tinos, though. They also still offer cold cheese, and it's a must have for any drunk college kid. A few other pizzarias in town (like Sal's) also offer it now, and I've even seen it spread down to Long Island where I live now. Thanks for the write-up, I never knew the origin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, 2006 would be about the time he came to Cooperstown. Thanks for your comments, gM :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to school at SUNY Oneonta and still crave cold cheese pizza - it was the best snack after a night out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I graduated in '95 from SUNY Oneonta and now teach high school - I have senior who tell me they are going to Oneonta and I tell them to get a slice of cold cheese, and of course I get the funny looks... but when they go there to visit friends or to check out the college, they always come back and thank me for telling them about it... LONG LIVE THE COLD CHEESE PIZZA !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also an Oneonta grad.....gotta love the cold cheese pizza!!! Thanks for the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tinos is currently back in oneonta, and yes tino is running the show! best slices in town by far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear it. I'll have to look him up next time I'm up that way :)

      Delete
  7. Hi! Thanks for the great information you have provided! You have touched on crucuial points! i bookmarked it and will be back to check some more later.

    Tino`s Pizza

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a freshman at Oneonta in 1983 and my roommate was a real deal 100% Italian from the Bronx his first name was Benito. I remember him asking for cold cheese on his slice of pizza at 2am in the morning after a night of drinking, I never saw anyone else ask for cold cheese. The pizza guy looked at him like he was crazy.I understand that the urban legend states that an employee at Tino's came up with the idea of cold cheese but I think it was my friend who started it. If​ it started before 1983 please correct me if I am wrong.Either way it was amazing! I still do cold cheese on my pizza 34 years later.
    Respectfully,
    1986 graduate Oneonta State University

    ReplyDelete