Thursday, May 7, 2009

Vermiculture!

GUESS WHAT?! Today I found my old original worm bin! I can't believe it's still there!

It is a plastic under-bed type plastic storage box that I had drilled holes in the bottom for drainage and around along the sides under the rim for ventilation. I place either nylon screening or some of that garden mulch fabric against the holes to help keep my little darlings from escaping through the holes.

I'd kept it out back under some trees where it had shade during the day to help keep it cool enough to keep from baking my little wormies, and close enough to the house to make it easy to carry kitchen scraps out to the bin.

One of our cats, Cookie (aka "The Mistress of Stealth"), liked to perch on a limb, we're guessing to watch for any small critters that may have been interested in the worm bin.

Scared Steve out of ten years' growth one evening about dusk when he was out there piddling around and saw this pair of eyes about waist high. We had seen larger wild cats before, like a bobcat as big as a medium sized dog, so his first thought was what does that pair of eyes belong to and how big must it be if its head is at waist height? But it was just Cookie, perched on a tree limb, watching the worm bin.

If you're interested in or curious about keeping earthworms, check out the The Worm Bin. It's a Yahoo Group all about earthworms, castings, and wormbins.

No comments:

Post a Comment