Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Life is What Happens

"Life is what happens when you've made other plans." 

I'm a fair-skinned person, light-haired, light-eyed, and freckled, too easily prone to sunburn.  One summer, maybe two, during my teen years, I thought I might like to try to "lay out," try to get a tan, but it just didn't work for me. I have endured many many summers of blistering sunburns, starting at an early age, and as I put on a few years, those sunburns began to itch and sting. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced that - it's most unpleasant, isn't it? So now I'm very careful about the mid-day sun, say from about ten to two in whatever time zone I happen to be on any given day. Meanwhile, that fair-skinnedness and history of blistering sunburn at an early age bumps up my risk factor for skin cancers, according to current medical advice.

So I went to see a dermatologist today. Now this is amusing to me: All the spots that were most obvious to me, that were of the greatest concern to me, were "nothing to worry about" - "Benign, benign, benign, skin tag, mole, benign."

But she did see one spot that I hadn't noticed at all. I don't know how I missed that one, but I sure did. "Pre-cancer," she said, and shot it with freezy stuff. Boy howdy, this is why we seek professional opinions, isn't it?

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment